Saturday, September 17, 2005

Welcome to Iceland!

Not to get stuck in Rovaniemi, I am joining DAMA an international Dance and Media arts project. The project is a co-operation between two Finnish, one Swedish and one Icelandic school each represented by some students and teachers. Very interesting! The first venue is Reykjavik, Iceland. Even more interestingJ. And this is were the journey begins…

Everything white!! What I firstly saw of Iceland was not much since the weather on our arrival day was very rainy and foggy. On our bus trip from the airport to the city of Reykjavik the island reminds me somehow of Ireland.
Our first stop: Reykjavik City Hostel, our home for the next four weeks. And suddenly we realize that we will live with six girls (two Germans, four Fins) in one quite small room...
The atmosphere in the hostel is quite nice. And for there are more travellers than I thought at that time of the year. So I am also getting in kind of backpacker’s mood, even if the purpose of my stay here is actually working and studying…
The first visit of a local supermarket makes me believe what everyone had told in advance: this is an expensive country. And the first cup of coffee confirms it: 250 crowns (more than 3Euro) are not really a bargain for regular black coffee, but 11 Euro for a Bacardi Breezer is even better!!!
After a first walk through the city I think it’s a quite nice and cosy place. So I am looking forward to stay here for a while.
And concerning the living circumstances in the hostel: it will of course take some time till we get known and used to each other. It feels a bit like in big Brother at the moment. What we will also have to get used to is the smell of the Icelandic water: a bit like bad eggs indeed… This is simply, because the water contains much sulfur (= Schwefel) spreading this strange smell. Therefore it shall be very healthy…. And since my Finnish roommates bought a used coffee machine at the flea market today we are provided with genuine Finnish coffee aroma from now on. My deepest thanks to the Finnish coffee addiction!

No comments: